Tuesday 26 June 2012

The X-Men and the mystery £5

I started reading comics properly on a trip to London to see my dad. A grabbed comic because I liked the cover at lunchtime whilst doing a hard days labour on a building site (teaboy and broomboy, tough work) It was Weapon X #1 from the Age of Apocalypse saga, I already knew the characters as I had read a few here and there before but this was the one that hooked me in, the art, the desperation of the situation, the fact that Logan and Jean Grey were together! It was all so bloody brilliant.
I knew it was fate for me to become a Big Bang Theory extra after a trip to Forbidden Planet ended in travesty I'd spent all my money and saw the holy grail - X-Men Alpha for £5 I walked back to the train station a sad sad child my life was practically over.
Then it happened
There at the bottom of the stairs in Tottenham Court road a screwed up crumpled five pound note. I ran back to the shop and grabbed that shiny covered beauty without hesitation and to this day it's still my favourite. At the time I was sure some mystic force had put it there, it was destined for me to have that comic.
Apart from about 5 years during my twenties I've been steadily snapping up comics non stop and although I have branched out into the whole comic world the X-Men remain my favourite as they helped me through some tough times because whatever I was feeling at least one of them would be dealing with something similar and still finding the strength to kick some villain about as well.
What I'm trying to say is even now we all need a little escapism, and who better than Wolverine and The X-Men?
How did that fiver get there?
Who put it there?
Was it Stan Lee?

No comments:

Post a Comment